Friday, September 7, 2007

How did I get an early bird?!

B likes to wake up around 6am, sometimes even earlier. I am NOT a morning person, and sometimes this is really difficult for me. I'm sure that in ten years or so, we'll have the opposite problem. I'll be on here complaining that we wanted to go skiing, but couldn't get the B out of bed before noon.

Back when he was a baby, we'd hear him in there talking and singing to himself when he woke up. Sometimes he wouldn't call us for half an hour or more. We loved to lay in bed and listen to him. No more of that! He calls us the instant he wakes up now. It's like he's so full of excitement for the day that he just can't wait to get up and start it. He never actually gets out of bed though. Instead, he scoots down to the foot of his bed, opens his door, and calls out "Mommy, now can I get up?" If it's before 6:30, I usually say no. I turn on his lullaby CD and tell him to stay in his bed until the CD ends. It runs 35 minutes. Sometimes he falls back to sleep during that time, but usually he doesn't. At least he stays quiet in his room, and it gives us a little time to wake up before we have to be 100%. What are we going to do when he figures out how to turn of the CD himself?

I guess it's a good thing he doesn't ever get out of bed without asking first. I don't have to worry about him going down to the kitchen and playing with knives or something while we're still sleeping. I wonder how long this will last?

M & I have come up with a system for weekends that works pretty well for us. On Saturdays, M gets up with B and I get to sleep a little longer. On Sundays, it's my turn to get up. We usually go downstairs and watch a cartoon or two while I get my first cup of coffee in me. I don't like to talk before I've had a cup of coffee, so I need the cartoon to keep the B quiet for a bit.

On work days, we're usually up around 6:30, and we let the B get up then. Fridays are "B-Mommy Super Fun Days," when B stays home from school and I don't work. I occasionally try to grab an extra 20-30 minutes of sleep while M is up getting ready for work. A couple of times, M and B somehow managed to get up without me waking up. M took him downstairs & parked him in front of cartoons and let me sleep. I woke up to find M gone and B still watching cartoons. While it was nice to get that little extra bit of sleep, I felt very weird about it. I didn't like B being downstairs by himself with me upstairs sleeping. What if he started jumping on the couch, and fell and hit his head on the coffee table? What if he found the children's Tylenol, opened it and drank it? I mean, it would obviously be bad enough if that happened under any circumstances, but if it happened while I was upstairs snug in my bed, I'd never ever be able to forgive myself. So now I make sure I'm up before M leaves on Fridays.

Speaking of Tylenol...I didn't just randomly make up that possibility, although I definitely have a macabre imagination and have come up with worse. I read a story in the Denver Post about a three year-old kid who woke up before his parents, went downstairs, climbed up on the counter, opened the cabinet, reached up to the top shelf where the Motrin was, took it out of the box & the shrink-wrap (it was a new bottle I guess), opened the child-proof cap, and drank it. He lived to tell the tale, but it freaked me out completely. Note to self: this weekend, take all the meds out of the medicine cabinet, put them in the hall closet, and put a child lock on the door handle.

No comments: