Monday, September 3, 2007

Bummer

I just got a message from our social worker, saying that she's moving on to another job. We've got our I-171H renewal process starting this month, which means a homestudy update. Now we're going to have to do that with a new social worker. Bummer. If you haven't been down this adoption road before, you might not realize how invasive and soul-baring a homestudy is. You pretty much have to spill your guts about your childhood, your relationship with your spouse, your parenting philosophy, everything. I'm not looking forward to doing that with a stranger. Our first social worker wasn't exactly a stranger -- she worked at the same place I do back in the late 1990s, so I knew her from that. She's a very open-minded person, and we were totally comfortable talking to her. I hope the new person is the same.

Hmmm...I wonder if the slowdown in China is what's causing this -- maybe the agency is having to let some social workers go, b/c they have fewer families starting the process. I hope not. I hope she just found a better job. I'll have to ask.

1 comment:

Mamacita said...

Who is your SW? Can you email me privately?