Thursday, September 13, 2007

Adoption news

Remember back in June, when I got all excited about our agency getting a new waiting child list? Wellllll, obviously we didn't get a referral off that list. I was being ridiculously optimistic. Justifiably so though, since CCAI told us 6-8 months was the average wait. We turned in our MCC in January 2007, so we'd just hit six months then, and we just hit eight months this week.

They got a new list two weeks ago. The things we know about this list are:

- there are 30+ kids on it

- the detailed files & translation are taking longer than usual, so referrals are trickling out at a snail's pace

- someone with a January 2007 MCC got a referral yesterday for a 23-month old girl with VSD

- someone with a December 2006 MCC was told she had a slight chance at getting a referral on this list, and a much better chance on the next list

Now these last two seemed contradictory at first, until I found out the woman with the Dec. MCC was open only up to 18 months. We're open up to 2 years, and have said we'll accept a minor heart condition or cleft lip and palate, the two most common SNs represented on the lists CCAI gets from China.

So what does it mean for us? I wish I knew. There are people with October 2006 MCCs who still don't have referrals yet. I know of one in particular who was open to the age range and conditions of the child referred yesterday, so I don't understand why that child was referred to a family with a January MCC. CCAI is maddeningly secretive about how they go about matching children with families.

Bottom line: I think we have an outside chance at getting a referral off this list. It should take them another two months or so to work their way through it, then there will be a lag of a couple weeks, and the next list will come (likely November or December). If we don't get a referral off this list, I just can't believe we won't get one off the next one. By then we'll have been waiting nearly a year since we joined the WC program. Six to eight months my ---. Every line I get in instantly doubles in length the moment before I step into it.

2 comments:

"M2" said...

fingers crossed for you

bbmomof2boys said...

Here's hoping you get to meet your daughter soon! We turned in our list in May so we have a ways to go yet. We are pretty open to the list of sn's and will go to 20 months. I might need to change that though - 2 years is just fine though. I'm hoping for a referral at Christmas...