Friday, July 20, 2007

Really? Already?!

We've had our first threat to run away. Yes, the Bee has said he's going to run away and go live at M & M's house. Why? Because they're allowed to play with guns. "The playing kind, not the eating kind" (there is some confusion over the difference between "gun" and "gum" going on here...). We went to their house on the 4th of July, and the Bee discovered the joys of squirt guns. Then just a few days later, a friend at his preschool had a birthday & brought each kid a goodie bag. Thankfully, the teachers put this up for parents to check out, rather than giving it to the kids...we left the bubble gum and the toy gun at school. (side note: WHO THE HELL gives bubble gum and guns to three year-olds?????) So the end result of my roundabout story: the Bee has developed a fascination with guns.

We've just explained it with "M and M's parents have different rules than we do. We just don't have guns in our house." This is something I've found myself saying a lot lately. "No, you can't ride standing up in the back seat of the car like Christopher does. I have different rules than his mommy does." or "No, you can't play in the street like Andrew does. I have different rules than his mommy does." Well, apparently he likes the rules M&Ms' parents have better than ours. Or at least that's what he told me.

We've also had a very brief conversation about how guns can hurt people -- give "blood owies" -- and only policemen should have them. He's not buying it.

But seriously, he's already threatening to run away at age 3.5? God help us when he's a teenager.

1 comment:

Mamacita said...

Oy. Too early for that. We had that conversation about playing in the street about 5000 times last summer, when she was 3 1/2. The lady who lived across the street had two kids that she let run EVERYWHERE. The four year old boy rode his bike down their steep driveway and shot out into the street. GAWD! I could hardly stomach it. My girl had some pretty serious conversation about what I expect from her around this house. Now she comes and asks me before she goes from the back yard to the front yard and she NEVER goes outside without telling me. At least not yet. The neighbors moved a month ago. My life just got a whole lot easier.