Saturday, November 1, 2008

FURIOUS

Last night, we got a robocall that I wasn't able to pick up because I was putting Z to bed. They left a message on my answering machine. It said that Barack Obama:

"pledged to relegalize tax-funded partial birth abortion, which pierces the skulls of pain-sensitive late-term babies during childbirth."

It went on to spout some nonsense about parental notification for abortions for minors (yeah, the teenaged girl who's raped by her father should have to get his permission before she aborts his baby; it's only fair, right?)

HOW DARE THEY? Does B need to hear that? Should I have to explain what abortion is to a four year-old? I.AM.OUTRAGED. They have no right to leave such a graphic message on my answering machine. No right.

The call came from the National Pro-Life Alliance (please see sub-rant below about the term "pro-life"). I think I'm going to call a local news station about this, because it is so totally inappropriate to be leaving these sorts of messages on family answering machines. I'm also going to write the Alliance, and call them too. Join me if you'd like --

Martin E. Fox
President
National Pro-Life Alliance
4521 Windsor Arms Court
Annandale, VA 22003
(703)321-9200

Now let's talk about the content of this ridiculous and infuriating phone call.

1. "Partial-birth abortion" -- the medical term is actually intact dilation and extraction (D&X). It was renamed "partial birth abortion" by abortion opponents because that sounds scarier. I prefer the less judgment-laden term "late-term abortion." Let's just call it LTA for short, OK? So why would a woman have an LTA, and why would a doctor perform one? The procedure is rarely used -- it accounts for less than half a percent of all abortions performed. It is also most often performed "postviability" -- in other words, when it is too late to save the baby anyway. Something has gone so terribly wrong that the baby would not survive. In other cases, the mother's life is so severely at risk that she would not survive the pregnancy. Sometimes both are true. Bottom line: it's rarely performed, and it's a desperate life-saving measure. NOBODY wants a late-term abortion. Nobody does it just because they don't want to be pregnant. Nobody. Prohibiting it would cost some women their lives, and would force others to carry a baby they know to be dying for weeks or months. What an awful thing to do to women.

2. Barack Obama on LTA -- He thinks that LTA should be available, but properly restricted. Obama is not pro-abortion. His stance is much like my own: abortion is a sad but often necessary choice, and instead of prohibiting abortion, our society should do a better job of making sure it's less needed than it is today by reducing the number of unplanned pregnancies. The bottom line: He thinks women should be trusted to make the appropriate choice for themselves in conjunction with their doctors, their families and their clergy.

3. On the term "pro-life" -- It's a load of bullshit. How many of those people do you think are opposed to the death penalty? Not many, I'll bet. How can you be pro-life, yet support the death penalty? And why do so many "pro-life" politicians and citizens oppose government-funded health care for poor children? Or food stamps? School lunch? Head start? They're "pro-life" for fetuses, but think kids need to get it together and earn their own way, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, or maybe go shopping for better parents.

I'm pro-life. I love life. I love being alive. I'm also anti-abortion. I cannot imagine many circumstances in my own life when I would choose an abortion. If I had to, it would be devastating. I'd mourn it for the rest of my life. But I'm also pro-choice. I don't believe anyone should tell me I can't choose a particular medical procedure for my own body, and I certainly don't want to force any other women to live by my moral values instead of their own.

Can you tell I'm done being bipartisan? I can't do it anymore. The stakes are too high, and it's gotten too ugly. The other side is spouting lies about Obama and leaving hateful messages on my answering machine. The McCain website is making me sick -- it's all anti-Obama crap, empty Republican talking points, and minimal useful content. Sarah Palin is a mean, vindictive woman who was ill-prepared to take the role she's been given. She has succeeded in setting women back at least a decade in our hopes to someday occupy the White House.

I simply do not understand the other side in this election. Usually I'm pretty good at seeing both sides, but this year, I just don't. There is only one choice. Obama.

10 comments:

Verlyn said...

I so agree! I just don't understand how all the "conservatives" believe all the junk that Mc/Palin are spewing out. I was talking to one person the other day who really believe Palin is more experienced than Obama! I feel that the "right" is swallowing all Mc/Palin's lies - hook, line and sinker, without ever bothering to search for the truth. I think these people will be very sore losers come Wednesday morning, and try to claim all kinds of voter fraud. I have never before been so disgusted by the tactics of a political team - especially one that claims to be the righteous people!

Cavatica said...

Sounds like a terrible message. It's just getting nasty.

lisa said...

Well, the trouble with absolutes, is that there are always exceptions-and sometimes they are right in front of you. Ironically, I shared publicly this morning for the first time, that I once had a late term abortion for nonmedical but very valid reasons. Which is the problem with artificial restrictions.
The robo calls are disgusting. I'm so glad I don't have an answering machine, but even so, it's such a violation of everything. ~lmc

Snowflowers Mum said...

I want to robokick their robostupid arses! I'd be spewing. Robo calls should be illegal.

I agree with you...OBAMA is the only choice, thats why my family is door knocking on Monday night with the Obama campaign! '

this is SERIOUS people

O-Tay said...

I so agree with you. I literally am disgusted whenever I see a McCain/Palin sticker on someone's car. I try to look inside to see *who* would be voting that ticket. Ugh.

I'm veeewwwy nervous about Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Also, you may have seen it but there's a hilarious story about Palin getting crank-called by a pair of Canadian comics pretending to be Pres. Sarkozy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081102/ap_on_el_pr/canada_palin_prank_call

O-Tay said...

I so agree with you. I literally am disgusted whenever I see a McCain/Palin sticker on someone's car. I try to look inside to see *who* would be voting that ticket. Ugh.

I'm veeewwwy nervous about Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Also, you may have seen it but there's a hilarious story about Palin getting crank-called by a pair of Canadian comics pretending to be Pres. Sarkozy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081102/ap_on_el_pr/canada_palin_prank_call

Verlyn said...

Monday morning: There is a great web site to follow electoral college vote predictions: http://www.electoral-vote.com/.
This morning there is an interesting chart showing the states Kerry and Bush each won in 2004, and then where Obama and McCain stand today. It shows Obama ahead in many of the states that Bush won as well as ahead in all the states that Kerry won.
I've been getting the robocalls too and they are awful. I'm registered as "unaffiliated", so I guess that makes me prime target. But what McCain and his people don't get is that independents don't want to hear a lot of nastiness - they want to know the truth and will cut through all the mud to find the truth. McPalin's biggest mistake is that they believe their own lies.

Snowflowers Mum said...

I'll just add them to my list...with the moronic 'focus on the family' bunch!

insanemommy said...

O-tay, I do the same thing you do, only I roll my eyes! I just saw in my neighbors garage they had their hand held McCain signs. I immediately formulated a new opinion about these people.... I thought they were smart people.

Should I be offended as I haven't received one McCain call?? He hasn't even tried to sway my vote. Not that it would matter. Die hard Democrat.

Are you having an election party? I'm staying up all night and watching as the votes come in.

Maia said...

Jenny, thank goodness we have you to lay out the facts rationally and in clear terms.

Those robocalls make me spit nails too...as do the endless mudslinging flyers we get in the mail (as if we didn't have junk mail issues already!)