Saturday, August 9, 2008

Green Moutain fire

Thanks to all of you who have emailed and called to make sure our home is OK. It is. We started getting calls and text messages last Tuesday afternoon, saying that Green Mountain, where we live, was on fire. It turned out to be a pretty bad fire, burning more than 300 acres. A few homes were slightly damaged, but no one was hurt and no homes were lost. It was a little scary being in Virginia and hearing that a big wildfire threatened our neighborhood, I must say. I'm still in North Carolina with the monkeys, but M is home and reports that a significant portion of the moutain is now black, and it's all on my favorite part of the mountain. Oh well. It'll be ugly for the rest of this year, but next summer it should be extra-green and the wildflowers will go crazy.

Here's an article from the Denver Post with some scary, scary pictures if you want to see more.

UPDATE: Here are some more photos on our city's website.

Now that I'm back home and have seen the burn area, it's truly horrifying. I would have been scared to death if we'd been home. I'm going to hike up on the mountain on Friday and will take the digital camera with me.

4 comments:

Doug and Cheryl said...

Glad to see your house is ok. Where are you in VA?

Doug and Cheryl

J said...

We were in Davidsonville MD (near Annapolis) first, then Woodbridge VA, Virginia Beach VA, and now Greenville NC. We'll be in Baltimore Monday night, then home on Tuesday.

Mamacita said...

Fire does bring renewal and beauty. I'm glad your home is OK. When you coming home?

Jill said...

Glad to hear your home is well!! May I add you blog to my blogsites?