Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A marriage inside-out

There's a couple that I pass on my way to work many mornings. I think they're Indian (just guessing based on how they're dressed). I see them taking a morning walk in a shady part of east Denver as I zoom by in my car. The reason I always notice them is that the woman always walks 20 feet or so behind the man. They're clearly just out for a stroll -- the man always has his hands clasped behind his back, and they walk slowly. The woman, dressed in a sari, follows along behind, looking at her feet.

It always makes me wonder: what is that marriage like at home? Is this formality just a show for public consumption, or do these roles carry on behind closed doors too? Are they affectionate, or is it just a business relationship? Do they have pet names, or are they Mr. and Mrs. to each other? What must it be like to be a woman in the sort of marriage I imagine it to be?

But my biggest question is: can you really judge ANYTHING about their marriage, or anyone else's, based on what you see during a morning walk down a public street? Maybe they kid around with each other all the time at home, and hold hands when no one's looking.

It just makes me go hmmmmm, that's all.

2 comments:

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I think the same thing about stuff like that... hence why I try to not judge people... had a great time in CO and will be adding a little something in the next few days...

Anonymous said...

I am always curious about the private lives of others. There are some people who look so cool on the outside. And others who do not.