Friday, February 1, 2008

I'm baaaaack

It's been a crazy, psycho blur of a week. There's been no time to do a blog post. This is the best I can do -- a quick rundown of what's been going on around here:

Last weekend we had 60 degree weather, so we took B to the zoo. I learned that the zoo carousel (or is it a merry-go-round? the zoo train engineer tells you about the difference as you pass by it on the train and I know I've heard the spiel at least twenty times, but apparently I don't really listen) goes abnormally fast, as I was unable to get a photo that was both (a) not blurry and (b) had both M and B's heads in it. Why did M ride the carousel? Because it makes me so dizzy I feel like I'm going to hurl.



We wound up a fun weekend by roasting marshmallows over a backyard campfire. We got a patio fireplace from my parents for Christmas but hadn't been able to use it yet because every single day since Christmas it's been snowing, freezing, incredibly windy, or some miserable combination thereof. Note the cool after-dark view of downtown that we have from our backyard. It's much better at night, when you can't see the brown cloud.


On Wednesday this week, my work friends threw me a baby shower. Cake and presents, always a good way to spend a Wednesday afternoon at work! It was fun and very sweet. The women all sat on one side of the room, and oohed and aahed over all the darling girly clothes I held up as I opened gifts. The men sat on the other side of the room and oohed and aahed rather sarcastically, if you ask me. But I didn't mind, really. It was nice that they came. Men showing up for a shower at our office is a rare event.

Also on Wednesday, I went to the doctor and got a fistful of prescriptions for our trip, including antibiotics for all three of us and a goody bag full of Ambien samples so we can sleep on the way to Hong Kong.

One last thing. The best thing, actually. Today I went to work for a few hours and took B with me. In the car on the way there, he counted all the way to 100, with very minimal help from me! Very impressive. He tried to convince me that he was the only person in the whole wide world who could count to 100, but I didn't buy that. We finally settled on the idea that perhaps he's the only 4 year-old person who can count to 100.

My countdown clock: 16 days to Zhi Yi -- WOW!!

4 comments:

Snowflowers Mum said...

okay...I get the stress dermatitis too. My suggestion, take it or leave it is FLAX OIL! it is fricken awesome...must be injested but can be mixed into oatmeal, spag sauce etc. Give it a week, and your skin will seem a little better.
oh, and I always take benadryl to take the itch away, I know it's not good but it works for me!

Not long now...and you'll be in China!

I cant wait to follow your journey!

Hayley

Snowflowers Mum said...

oh, and eat salmon at least three times a week for the next two weeks, fresh broiled salmon!

H

Mutha Mae said...

I have a request. I'd like to see more views of downtown from your backyard, plz. Even if you just send to me via email. I am a sucker for views and would love to know what that looks like! There was a time we looked at a place in your area and wanted to get it, but couldn't. The views sold me.

Cavatica said...

I had a cold just before leaving for China too, but was cold free while there, even though Hubs and Snowflake had colds. I think I built up my immunity in advance. So, I say, "good planning!" Yay, it's really happening!!! Oh, and 1-100, that's awesome!