Sunday, February 17, 2008

We have our little Z!

From an email sent at 7:30 am (Eastern time) Sunday...

OK, don't kill me, but we don't have any pictures yet. What we do have is the cutest, funniest little girl we've ever met. They handed her over to us at about 5:00 tonight. The orphanage director put her in my arms. She looked around a little, sniffled a bit, then burst into the saddest cry I ever heard. It took her about one minute to get that out of her system, and she's just gotten happier and happier ever since. Actually, I did see one tear trickle down her cheek about fifteen minutes after that, but otherwise, she's been all smiles and giggles. No, not giggles, belly laughs. She thinks "Oh no!" is the funniest thing she's ever heard. Her favorite thing to do seems to be putting stacking cups on her feet, then kicking them across the room. She's also fond of putting them on my head & watching them fall. She also loves to fling her head (or whole body) backwards, which she thinks is funny but we frankly find frightening. She likes to hold her own bottle, although every now & then she'll grab your hand and put it on the bottle for a few seconds, then push it away. She also offers the bottle to us for sips, and says something each time she does it. We'll ask for a translation from our guide tomorrow. Much like we've heard from other families who've adopted from this orphanage, her fine motor skills are very good, but her gross motor skills are way behind. She can't really sit up by herself, and doesn't like to be on her belly at all. They tell us she can walk with help, but we have yet to see her crawl, much less stand or walk. I'm betting we'll be telling a very different story by the time we get on the plane home though. She's itty bitty (fits in 12-month and even some 9-month size clothing), but not skinny. Just little. She has a rotten cold, with an astonishing amount of green gunk that comes out with the snot sucker (something else she thinks is hilarious). She's snoozing right now. I gave her a bottle at about 7:30, and her eyes were pretty much closed by the time it was gone. All in all, she is one adorable, sweet, and very funny baby. More tomorrow (with pictures, I promise).

7 comments:

Mutha Mae said...

I'm so thrilled it's going so well for you. Can't wait to see pics. Congratulations!

Mamacita said...

That's the best post I've read in a loooong time! Congratulations! She sounds like quite a girl!

Cavatica said...

She sounds AWESOME!!! From what I've heard the green snot is green from pollution, not necessarily an illness. I wish I knew how to make Snowflake think the snot sucker was funny. She thinks it's abusive. I can't wait to see pics!!!

Snowflowers Mum said...

I cannot wait to see photos of your belly laughing lil buddha! She sounds like she is having a blast with you!

Hayley

Maia said...

Oh SO exciting! You sound thrilled.

After reading Cavatica's comment...I'm trying to imagine living in a country where the pollution is so bad it does that to your sinuses. And yes, Mike and I have discussed living in China for a year or two...

Sarah said...

Oh yeah!!!! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see pictures! Enjoy this special time!
Love, Sarah H.
fellow July Firefly...

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so excited and happy for you guys. Will look forward to meeting her on my next trip home.