Saturday, January 5, 2008

Sicko

Wah. I'm sick. Went to bed last night with my stomach feeling a little gurgly & sloshy, but not actually feeling sick. Woke up feeling the same. Started getting ready for our big ski day, and things went downhill fast (ha ha, bad pun -- sorry). B & I sent M on his merry way up to ski b/c he had a telemark lesson to take (Christmas gift from me) that couldn't be rescheduled. I thought maybe if I laid down for an hour, I'd feel better & B and I could go somewhere closer to fool around a bit. He's never skied before, so it's not like we need to hit the big bumps at Mary Jane or anything. Any 10' x 10' patch of snow, even without a hill, probably would've suited him fine.

Parents to the rescue!!! God, what would we do if we didn't live near family? After an hour of ever-increasing misery, I called my parents. They were here in under two hours, and have taken B and his skis up to their house until tomorrow. After his so-called nap, they're going to take him up in the mountains somewhere to fool around with the skis for an hour or so. I'm hoping M & I will be better by tomorrow. Oh yeah, M left his lesson an hour early & came home sick too. He didn't even wave at me nesting on the couch when he walked in the door. He just went straight up to bed.

I never get sick, so I'm super-wussy when it happens. The last time I was sick was the winter after B was born. I was sick throughout the whole pregnancy and most of the first year after he was born. I never had morning sickness, I just got sick a lot. I think all my immunity went to him while he was cooking & while I was breastfeeding. I caught every single cold, sinus infection, stomach flu, ear infection, and general crud that came along. It SUCKED. But I haven't been sick since. And before that? I remember having the flu twice in graduate school, which would've been 1995-1997. I was teaching English as a second language, so I'm sure I was exposed to all sorts of exotic germs my students brought with them from around the world. But that's it. I can't recall anything other than a cold for the rest of my entire adult life.

I'm not good at being sick. I'm going to go curl up on the couch & watch bad daytime TV until I pass out.

Whine, whine, whimper, whimper.

3 comments:

Mutha Mae said...

I join you in your misery but mine is all nose. We will feel better soon!

Maia said...

Yah, I'm a TOTAL wuss too. I consider it a personal affront when I get sick. Which is rarely. Mike's the one with the dreadful immune system - he's constantly sick in the wintertime. And he just powers through. Never takes a sick day.
I only get a cold about once every three years, but when I do I am the biggest whiner on the face of the earth. No sucking it up here. I lay around and wail and complain and get absolutely nothing done whatsoever.

"M2" said...

poor dear....
feel better soon.