Sunday, May 9, 2010

Run like a mother

I ran a 10K race this morning.  Good times, aside from my back going into a spasm in the last mile, which somehow caused my groin muscle to also spasm.  That felt good.  But it was only a mile, so I survived.  I may not be able to walk tomorrow, but who needs to walk?

The kids ran races too.  There was a 50-yard dash for two & three year-olds, and a slightly longer dash for 6-8 year-olds.  They even got to wear numbers!  They've been very excited about racing for weeks now, and B has been regularly going out in the back yard to train -- running as fast as he can back and forth across the yard.  I was a little worried about Z -- she's not super-fond of loud noises and big crowds, and I was afraid that she wouldn't want to run a race all by herself.  Well, I worried for nothing!  She ran as fast as her little legs could carry her, and you should've seen her face when she finished -- she was so proud I thought she was going to explode!  Here we are after her race:

Here's B's race just taking off at the starting line:

And here he is mid-race (he's right on the double-yellow line in the center of the picture, wearing a long-sleeved black top and gray shorts):

And here he is coming in for a strong finish:

Here's me coming into the finish in my race (I'm #1012):

And me with my B right after the finish:

I'm pretty happy with how I ran, considering that I really made zero effort to train for this race.  I've been trying to recover from multiple injuries for the past four months, and just haven't been putting in many miles.  But my time is annoying me a little -- 1:01.  So close to being under an hour!  I know myself well enough to know that by the end of this coming week, I'll have found another 10K to run in a month or so, so I can finish in under an hour.  I'm an addict.

Z took this picture of M while I was running - I love it b/c it looks exactly like what a girl's-eye view of her daddy must look like:

After the race we headed to my parents' house for a picnic lunch with them and my brother and his wife. I'm afraid I somehow didn't take any pictures while we were there. But after lunch, while M & Z were napping (I KNOW!  It doesn't seem right that I ran a race, but M got to nap, does it?!), B and I went to The Best Park Ever. I snapped a couple pictures of him there:

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

No comments: