Friday, March 28, 2008

Long night

First of all, I have to say that I find it funny that I got more comments on my "strep, pinkeye and lice" post than any other post so far (except maybe some from when we were in China). Funny in an odd way more than a ha-ha way. But at least I got a volunteer to come over & comb out the lice if we get to that point. No lice so far though.

Poor Z, and M by association, had a terrible night. I don't know what's going on with her. It started with naptime yesterday afternoon. She normally takes really outstanding afternoon naps, like 2-2.5 hours without a peep. But yesterday she only made it about 40 minutes before she started screaming. I got her quieted down a couple of times, but I don't think she ever fell asleep again.

The same thing happened last night. With the exception of that one week she was sick not so long ago, she's normally a stellar sleeper. She goes to bed around 7:30, and we don't hear from her again until at least 7am. But last night she woke up screaming at midnight, then again at 3:00, 3:30, and 6:15. I may have missed one between 3:30 and 6:15 too. And when I say "woke up screaming," I do mean screaming. She sounded angry. Like a combination of crying and yelling. On the rare occasions she wakes up during the night, she rarely gets that worked up, but last night, she went from asleep to raging screams, with no warm-up in between.


Z tries to look innocent, like a baby too sweet to scream through the night


What's up with that?! She didn't have a fever, so I don't think she's getting sick. I'm wondering about teeth. Could she be starting to get her two-year molars? She's not even 18 months old yet, but she did get all the rest of her teeth early. She had everything but those molars at 15 months. B was an early teether too, but I don't think he was that early.

Anyway, poor M was on Z-duty last night. We take turns, and on Thursdays, he's supposed to get up. The poor guy only got about 3 hours of sleep he said. I was up some at midnight and 3-3:30, but that doesn't compare. B slept through the whole thing. He can sleep through anything.

So I think I'll try a little Tylenol at naptime today, to see if that helps her sleep. In the meantime, I'm trying to psych myself up for a day of screaming and head-flinging (that back-arching, head-cracking thing she does when she's mad). B was hoping to go to the park this morning, but it's not a nice day. I'm thinking of a rec center with a sweet indoor playground instead. I may be crazy to take her out in public today, but I'd rather have a mostly happy baby with one or two public meltdowns/hissy fits than a bored, fussy baby all day long in the house. Wish us luck.


Creative B discovers a way to color with four sparkly markers at the same time

3 comments:

pittmane said...

Poor Z (and M!). I hope she feels happier today.
I think B has amlost as much marker on his hands as he does on the paper ;)! I am soooo envious of his eyelashes!!

fourlittlehawks said...

Long time lurker, but this is my first comment. It sounds like Z might be having night terrors, our daughter (adopted at 2.5 years old)went through this periodically for the first year home. Sometimes she woke up hourly and it was rough on all of us. Hang in there - they should taper off as she adjusts more and more!
~ Jen

Donna said...

Could it be night terrors? Especially with it going straight to screams. I don't know much about them, but you could google it and compare. I hope she did well today! That's a good idea, taking turns. We sort of do that too...I do mornings, most of the feedings, he does most of the putting to nap/bed.