Tuesday, August 14, 2007

10-day recap

August 4-9 in Boston for business. Stayed at the same hotel M & I spent our wedding night. When I told them that, they put me in a suite. Sweet! It would've been more fun if M were there, of course.

Spent a "B & Mommy Super Fun Day" Friday with the Bee. We went swimming at Apex, which has a very cool indoor pool & also the best indoor play area I've ever seen. Last time we went there (sometime last winter), the Bee was too little to climb up into the play area by himself, and scared to go down the "dark slide" (it's one of those tunnel slides, & brown, so yes, rather dark) by himself. Not this time! He climbed right up there like a monkey and slid by himself over and over. I practically had to drag him out kicking & screaming.

Saturday was a big party at my parents' in honor of my sister & her fiance, who have been visiting from Maryland. The Bee played like a madman with a gazillion cousins and ate two and a half hot dogs. Gross.

Sunday morning, the Bee and I packed up our tent & headed down to New Mexico with my sister & her fiance. Our aunt has a house between Taos & Santa Fe, in a lovely little mountain valley. They had a houseful of people, so Bee & I stayed in our tent and my sister stayed in the yurt. We ate lots of good food (my uncle can cook like nobody's business), hung out by the fire watching for shooting stars (the Perseid meteor shower peaked while we were there), and generally had a good time. The ride back today was less fun, especially after I threw out my back then got carsick one hour into what turned out to be a six and a half hour drive. Another not-so-fun part was when the Bee was sitting in my sister's lap, then suddenly stood up and launched himself from her lap onto the concrete floor, face-first. I'm not exactly sure what he thought he was doing, but it was a horrifying moment. I saw him falling in slow motion. He landed smack on his face; I don't think he even had time to put his hands out to break his fall. His nose bled a little, although I was surprised and relieved it didn't get broken, and he's got a big red raspberry on his forehead from the carpet. Otherwise, he's fully recovered. It's good to be home, and a hot shower was just what I needed.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera on a single one of these adventures. Sorry about that! I'll make up for it in the next couple weeks.

Also in the category of unfortunate -- our agency hasn't gotten a new list yet. I was sure it would come while I was in New Mexico, just because I didn't have cell phone service or internet access while I was there. I jumped on the computer as soon as I got home, and no new list. Boo hoo. I'm still hoping it'll come this week. We have a class at CCAI on Friday night. Wouldn't it be great if they met us at the door & said they had pictures of our baby?! A girl can dream...

Things the Bee has said over the past ten days that amused me:

Mom and Dad (as opposed to Mommy and Daddy) appear to have stuck. He still calls me Mommy if he's tired or hurt, but 99% of the time I'm MOM. And he says it in this very deliberate way, so that you can tell he's really trying to stop saying Mommy.

We were at the grocery store, and B was driving one of those carts that looks like a fire engine. As we were cruising the produce section, he asked "Mom, where do you think this fire truck is going? It starts with mmm." I guessed it was going to the monkey house at the zoo. Wrong! It was going to "a mergency." Get it? To him, it's not "an emergency," but "a mergency."

When we were driving to Apex, somebody cut me off on the highway, and I called him a jerk. I ended up getting a 10-minute lecture about how I shouldn't call people bad names. He kept going "Remember, MOM, don't call people jerks, okay? It's not nice."

When we first arrived at my aunt's place in NM, she was giving us a tour of the new yurt. We adults were inside, and the Bee was out on the deck. We could hear him talking to this dog out here, and he was going "Come here, little puppy. Sweet black little puppy! Come here!" He was using this super-high voice, like I guess I do when I'm calling Kenai, and it was just the cutest thing. I just love to eavesdrop when he's talking to himself!

No comments: