Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Worried about BPA?

Did you do what I did a couple years ago? Look for that #7 on the bottom of your water bottles, and discover that nearly every one had it? We ended up buying aluminum bottles from SIGG for everyone in the family. Well, now it's come to light that SIGG bottles also contain BPA. It's in the lining put in all bottles made before August 2008. You can tell when your bottle was made by looking at the lining. If it's a shiny copper, you've got a pre-August 2008 bottle. If it's a dull yellowish color, you're OK.

I'm feeling very irritated about this. Those bottles are expensive! Buying them for a family of four comes close to $100. While SIGG may not have done anything that's actually illegal, like specifically claiming that their bottles were BPA-free, they had to know that the reason their sales shot up suddenly was because people believed this. It feels dishonest to me that they are just now admitting the truth. We bought ours from a co-op with a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee, so I think we're going to try to exchange them all this weekend.

Read the letter from the CEO of SIGG for yourself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. Yep. Copper one right here. I cant return it. That sucks.

Juliette said...

Same here. I guess we'll keep them til they are too old and crossing fingers they never lick because they are too expensive to change.
What if we buy new ones now and in a year they found the also have something wrong...I think nothing is safe.

Michele said...

You can't seem to trust anything these days.

Snowflowers Mum said...

crap.

I bought a sigg thermos for Piper for school last year. She took her org milk to school and I thought I was good.

assholes.