Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I think I started a fight

A cyberfight. Actually, I didn't really start it, but I stepped into it big-time. A friend of mine posted a comment on a third person's blog about that person's choice of words. She was writing about how she was considering joining the special needs program, and said something about how the boys adopted through this program are "the least of the least." My friend, being the parent of a boy adopted through the special needs program, found this terminology offensive, and said so in a comment on the third person's blog.

This person retaliated by insulting my friend in a subsequent post. She assumed that my friend must be an inexperienced parent to say what she did. Well, as another parent of a child adopted through the special needs program, I was also offended by her initial choice of words, and doubly offended when she insulted my friend, so I stepped in to say so. Unfortunately, I made my comment anonymously. I have since corrected that mistake, and now this blogger knows exactly who I am.

She called me politically correct for objecting to her use of "least of the least" and "china doll." Did you all know that "china doll" means prostitute? I would certainly never call my daughter or any other Asian girl a "china doll." Even if it didn't have that derogatory meaning, I still wouldn't use it. To call a child a doll objectifies her. It implies that she is something you keep to play with and dress up in pretty clothes. It makes her something less than you are, a plaything rather than a person. Avoiding the use of potentially hurtful names and labels is not political correctness, it's kindness.

A second problem I had with this blogger's post was her motivation for considering the special needs program. Since China's traditional program to adopt children with no known medical needs has slowed down so much, many more families have turned to the special needs program. I know that a lot of people are thinking about it because they don't want to wait five or more years for a child. I don't blame them for looking for a way around that wait. It's horrible that China is putting families in that position. And I wouldn't be totally honest if I said the wait played no role in our decision. But I said it played a role, not that it made us decide.

The ever-growing wait gave us the time to think about the special needs program. If we had only faced a 6-8 month wait, like we thought we had when we went into our adoption, I don't think we ever would have seriously considered the waiting child program. But given the time to think about it, to learn about the various health conditions these children have, we decided that we could do it. It took us some time. We were LID on August 1, 2006. Around Halloween, we printed out the medical conditions checklist and started talking about it. We did a lot of research, checked off some special needs, then reconsidered them. By Christmas, we were fairly confident about what needs we could handle and which ones we couldn't. We called our insurance carrier to verify what would be covered, talked at length with our social worker, then turned in our checklist.

At the heart of our decision to adopt a child with special needs was this belief: we can, so we should. We are lucky to have B, a perfectly healthy and vibrant child. We have group health insurance that will cover pre-existing conditions (not without a fight, it turned out, but that's another story). We can afford the co-pays and co-insurance to treat certain medical conditions. We have a supportive extended family and good friends we can lean on when times are tough. I have an employer that has a generous maternity leave policy, giving me enough time off work to help a child through medical treatment. In short, there were no good reasons why we should NOT adopt a child with special needs.

And it's true that these children have little chance of being adopted in China. If families in other countries don't open their hearts and homes to these children, they will grow up in institutions, and most will not receive the medical care they need. I think that's what this blogger was trying to say with her unfortunate choice of words.

But adopting a child with special needs is not easy. In addition to the developmental delays with speech and motor skills that most children adopted as toddlers from an orphanage environment display, our Z has a medical condition that will last a lifetime. She is lucky in that it is not life-threatening and will not limit her in very many ways, but it will never go away. For now, she looks a little bit different than other kids. If that bothers her when she is older, we can have cosmetic surgery to correct the way it looks, but it will never go away. It has involved a lot of doctor's visits, and two operating room visits under general anesthesia. Our medical bills have been rather hefty this year. And all of this will last a lifetime. (If it seems like I'm being rather mysterious here, I apologize. I made a choice way back when I first started blogging that I would protect certain core aspects of my family's privacy. This includes discussing the very personal details of just what Z's medical condition is. That is for her to share when she chooses to, not for me to share with the world at large.)

So what I'm saying is, don't take it lightly. Don't adopt a special needs child because you feel sorry for the child. Don't do it just to get around the wait. But if the wait opens your eyes to the program and some serious research and soul-searching leads you to believe you can do it, then by all means, go for it. And please, for the love of whatever diety you believe in, don't call those kids "the least of the least."

PS - I'm not sure whether to be flattered or offended to read that you think I could be the Rumor Queen, but I most definitely am not. Sorry to disappoint you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're so offended that someone called their baby a china doll (most likely used as a term of endearment), yet your blog name is sugar mama? Im pretty sure if you knew the real meaning of a sugar mama you wouldn't be so proud to have that on your journal

J said...

You are not a nice person and you lack a sense of humor. Coming into my living room and throwing poo is bad manners. I said some things that were honest and fair on the blog in question, and made a sincere effort not to be unkind in the way I did it.

Perhaps you missed the subtitle of my blog? "Adventures in living the sweet life."

At any rate, this kind of defensiveness is usually demonstrated by people when they know they are in the wrong, yet lack the moral fiber to admit it.

J said...

PS - Sugar Mama was a kind of candy sold back in the 1980s. And it's a little bit funny to those who know me in real life, because my husband is younger than me.

Jen & Bill said...

thanks J. for coming to my defense.

I guess I can expect nasty comments now.....

I'm outted to.

I stand by my comments to her.

I hope at least she takes a minute to think about what she is writing prior to posting it.

Kay Bratt said...

I think you are right in how you describe the way to go about deciding if a special needs child is right for your family. Many adoptions go sour because parents decide to go the SN route but get more than they expected or are prepared to handle. It should not be based on the waiting period issue--it should be based on whether or not your family is prepared and/or committed to giving that little (sometimes a lot) extra care and patience to a child that was born with some sort of illness/disability. This cannot be taken lightly or rushed to make decisions. In my five years in China, the young girl prostitutes were called Xiao Jie-- which also means "sister"...I have never heard them referred to as dolls. Maybe it is a regional thing.

Sampsons said...

Bravo - good posts. Things that need to be said again and again and again to protect our children. Good for you!

N

Anonymous said...

Wow. Somebody has real issues. And I'm not talking about you. Good post.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!
Drum roll please....................Well I am proud of Ms. Anonymous 1 & 2 for having the courage to say what they mean and come forward with who they are. Congratulations!! You will also not see anything "nasty" from me posted on either of your blogs, out of respect for the beautiful children you have both adopted. May you both continue to pour nothing but love and compassion into them. I have the up most respect for families and parents who parent a SN child. Again, I will say how you interpreted my comment on "the least of the least" was not meant in a derogatory way, but in a way that hopefully families will consider these little guys. Do I take pity on them. No, I take compassion for them. I think there is a difference. As far as the term "China doll" goes. That word came from you, not from me. I am well aware of the many implications of the term. Again, with age comes wisdom. You both have taken on a daunting task, and I am sure the last thing you need is conflict. Again, if my wording was misinterpreted or came across wrong, I am sorry. This is the third time I am apologizing! Those who know me best and know me well, know who I am and what I stand for. They are the only ones who matter to me. So now do us all a favor and just don't bother to revisit my little old blog anymore. It's the nicest way I can ask. Life is way....way to short and important to waste time and energy on things of this foolishness. I am not going to waste another moment on it when I could be kissing that little pumpkin of mine instead. They grow really quickly, really fast! So if an older, more experienced Mommy can give you both some advice.....do the same! Can I ask you a question? Why are you reading my blog? I don't know you and you don't know me. Beside my stunt at being famous, which is a story within itself, Where did you find me? You see, I am not about tearing people down, put building them up. I thought we have a common bond? I taught my kids to assume the best out of people, not the worst. Much like you did of me. It's really a terrible example to the world about how the adoption community attacks each other. I have many families and friends who read my blog and they were shocked to see how other adoptive families treat each other. I also have written articles for adoption online magazines. Let's not forget the term China Doll came from YOUR FRIENDS POST NOT MINE. She should be ashamed of using the term, I only used it to show how my baby was not what she thought I was looking for. Which in her words was a "perfect China Doll" Look, I am sure I am much older than you both and until you raised kids through their teenage years, put them in a car on their own, and sent them off to college....I think I can say safely, I know that from which I speak. Enjoy your kids.....and let's all try to make the world a better place by thinking kindly of one another and not assuming the worst! Hope you have a great vacation. I am also on my way! I am sorry to see you have a stalker. I guess I have many loyal friends, family and strangers looking after me, as do you. We do reap what we sow...don't we! Again, enjoy your vacation!

Grace!

J said...

OK, I'm on vacation and supposed to be ignoring this cr@p, but I have to answer to this.

My, aren't we superior, Grace. Let's just review how all this started, shall we?

1. Blogger A (Grace) said something thoughtless and offensive on her blog.
2. Blogger B (Jen & Bill) was offended, and said so in a comment on Blogger A's blog. Perhaps she could have been more diplomatic about it, but a mother defending her child usually becomes rather fierce.
3. Blogger A retaliated by insulting Blogger B in a very condescending manner.
4. I stepped in to defend Blogger B, and agree with her assessment of Blogger A's thoughtless comments. I don't think I was unfair or unkind. You can use Grace's link to read the comment in question, because she cut and pasted it out of her comments and made a whole blog post out of it.
5. Now here we are.

I originally posted my comment anonymously because I remembered "grace" from the whole Rumor Queen episode, and thought back then that she was a little scary-crazy. I was afraid if I posted with a link to my blog, she and her posse would spread ugliness on my blog. And look what happened. I guess I should have trusted my instincts.

I've been posting all of the toxic comments from ripcurlgrl and now Grace so that we can see their true colors, but I am a little tired of all this ugliness in my cyber home, so I may have to stop.

I have reason to believe that ripcurlgrl may be Grace's daughter. My my, we DO reap what we sow, don't we Grace?

Jill said...

As a parent of a SN child from China, I totally agree with your post. We DID NOT do it because of the wait, and would do the SN program in a heartbeat!! What child does NOT deserve a loving family?? Unfortunately, however, many families are doing it for the wrong reasons....... Thanks for keeping it real. We can't appease the masses all the time. If you go PWP, please let me know.