Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Part boy, part monkey

B has been taking a rock-climbing class at one of the city rec centers. I've thought for a long time that he'd love this class, but I couldn't get him to it because it's only held on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, when normally I'm at work. I'm taking advantage of my maternity leave to finally get him into this class.

Last week was the first class, and he was awesome! He climbed so high, his feet were above his teacher's head. This week he wasn't so into it for some reason. He's been struggling a lot these past few days with not being an only child anymore (more on that in another post, maybe later this week), and I think all of that may have dampened his enthusiasm some. Or maybe he was just feeling more boy than monkey today.



In the picture below, he was playing Animal Rescue. There's a stuffed cow on the handhold above his head, and his job was to climb up there and rescue the cow. I thought this was a very creative way to encourage kids to learn to climb. (I just love that tuft of hair that sticks out of the back of his head. Some mornings I try to wet it and comb it down, but most of the time I just leave it. It's the perfect look for a four year-old boy.)


And of course, as always, Z wanted to be just like her ga-ga:

4 comments:

Mamacita said...

Great pictures! I think you should do spikes all over his little head! Make it crazy!

Cavatica said...

That looks like a lot of fun!

pittmane said...

B really IS a monkey!!! I always thought he was.

Maia said...

I love the animal rescue idea. That's brilliant! I can't wait to have a kid on the climbing wall!

Just reminded me that we saw a thing on the Animal Planet yesterday about a dog (terrier) that learned to free-climb after its rock-climber owner, just because it couldn't stand to be left behind at the bottom of the cliff. It was kind of amazing.