Friday, March 12, 2010

Intolerance

There is one thing I cannot tolerate.  OK, there's more than one -- anyone who hurts children and animals, spiders, zucchini, harmonica music -- but there's one really big one, and that's lack of tolerance.  It drives me crazy.

A friend pointed out a post today on the blog of someone who's rather well-known in the adoption-blogging world.  She's one of those blogging adoptive moms who's very in-your-face with her religion, the kind who might smugly wield "I'll pray for you" as a weapon.  And she also apparently believes that anyone who doesn't share her particular brand of religion is going straight to hell.  I suppose I'll see quite a few of you there.  It'll be like an eternal girls' night out!

How did Christianity become so perverted?  Honestly, how did it go from a shared belief in tolerance, love and charity toward one's neighbors to being a belief in "My way is the only way?"  I have some close friends and relatives who are devout Christians, and for the most part, they seem to respect my decidedly secular spiritual beliefs.  But there is a subset of Christians who do not.  They adhere so closely to the dogma that they seem to fail to understand the broader philosophies that lie beneath it.  Sadly, these people seem to be the face of modern American Christianity.  They preach hatred toward Muslims and believe that hundreds of millions of people are wrong about their spiritual beliefs.  How can they not see their own arrogance?  How can they believe that Jesus would endorse this kind of intolerance?

I don't understand it, and I cannot tolerate it.  I am compelled to point out bigotry when I see it, and this kind of thinking, my friends, is bigotry disguised as Christianity.

8 comments:

Snowflowers Mum said...

a-freakin-men sister!

pittmane said...

I am soooo with you on that!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Could not have said this any better!

Cavatica said...

Oh, you know how I feel about this! I'm feeling very lucky that there hasn't been a crucifixion attempt on my blog, given my recent topics. But I've gotten so tired of the one-sidedness of our world and had such a desire to express myself.

pittmane said...

Ok...just gotta say - I just re-read this and realized that you can't tolerate people who hurt spiders or zucchini or harmonica music....

J said...

that's syntactic ambiguity, smartypants. read it however you like, but you know how i feel about anything with more than four legs.

Verlyn said...

I am a Christian - a committed every-day-follower of Jesus Christ, but I have to agree with what you say. What Jesus said over and over again was "love your neighbor" - but unfortunately so many who wear the name of Christ think that means "love only those who agree with me", and think that it's their job to make people feel guilty and rejected if they believe differently. If Jesus was on earth today, I believe He would be having dinner with Muslims and even Democrats!!! I also happen to be a non-Republican, the only one among my friends and relatives, and am constantly hearing terrible put-downs about the current Administration, with side comments about how I as a Christian could support President Obama, the Healthcare Bill and everything else Obama stands for. Oh - this is getting to be too long a comment so I better quit, but this is a subject about which I feel very strongly.

Michele said...

I don't understand it either.