Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Do they make locking pajamas?

I went to bed early last night. I'd put B to bed, and he doesn't like it when we leave him upstairs alone before he's asleep, so I went into our room and laid down on the bed with a book ("The Places In Between" by Rory Stewart, about his walk from Herat to Kabul, Afghanistan -- I recommend it!). By 8:45, I was feeling very sleepy, so I turned off the light and snuggled into the covers. It was one of those nights when it felt so cozy to be in bed -- it was quiet, the window was open so there was a cool breeze, I was drowzy, life was good.

The next thing I knew, it was midnight, and Z was making little noises over the baby monitor. She wasn't fully awake and crying, but I knew this would go on and on and she soon would be if I didn't go down there, so I reluctantly got out of bed and headed downstairs.

I found her with her head at the foot of the crib, on top of her blankets. She hates to be on top of the blankets, so I picked her up to flip her around & cover her up. When I did, I realized she was naked. Stark naked. Not even a diaper. And wet. And the crib sheet was wet. She had squirmed her way out of her fleece zip-up footy pajamas and taken off her diaper, then wet the bed in her naked state. What a naughty little girl!

I fished the PJs out of the crib and thought about my options. If I took her out of the crib to re-diaper her and put her PJs back on, I'd have to set her down on the floor while I re-made the crib. If I did that, it would take her about three seconds to start roaming the room & pulling out toys, and then it would be very difficult to coax her back to sleep. I decided to keep her in the crib while I did all of that in the dark, hoping she'd go back to sleep easily. It worked. I got her & the crib tidied up in a matter of minutes, and she never made a peep.

As I crawled back into my own bed, a thought occurred to me: it was M's night to be on Z patrol, not mine! He didn't even wake up. When I told him about it this morning, I suspect he thought I had dreamed the whole thing. Oh well. He got up when B had a bad dream at 3ish, so I guess we just sort of switched kid duty last night. Oh yeah, and then the milk man came at 4:30 and woke us both up again.

For a night that started out so nicely, it really didn't go so well, did it?

PS - B's second loose tooth fell out this morning at breakfast, and a new tooth is already coming in where the first one fell out. He's tremendously proud and already looking asking about getting braces. We'd better start saving our money I guess.

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Lia does this too, I guess when she is older she will sleep in the nude?!? Some pj's are harder for her to get off.. Try buttons instead of zippers?

Maia said...

I'll buy into those locking PJs. We've had a few nights like this. I always feel so guilty when I find her naked and wet, curled in a ball like a little salamander...but she's a little houdini, and she's been very into figuring out zippers, buttons and snaps lately. Good and bad. But mainly bad when it means a naked, peeing baby in the middle of the night!

Jen & Bill said...

Ricky is a pj escape artist. Zippered or 2 piece pj's he can get out. I was putting a onsie on underneath a 2 piece. He can now get out of that as well.

Here is what I do.

Carters has no feet one piece pj's that zipper.

I put them on backwards.

I brought like 8 of them (they only had 2 styles for boys).

He hasn't been able to get out them.

Michele said...

Thankfully Jammer hasn't tried this. Yet. Thankfully the warmer weather is coming so at least those houdinis won't be as cold.