Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Three friends and a wedding

We had a low-key weekend. A friend of mine was in town visiting from New Mexico, so I took her on my current favorite hike on Saturday morning. We followed that up with lunch & a margarita. Yummy. She's buena gente and I wish she hadn't moved so far away!

On Sunday evening, we went to the wedding reception of another friend of mine. We skipped the wedding -- she's my friend, not my worst enemy! I would only attend a wedding with our two monkeys if I wanted to wreck the whole thing. We all cleaned up pretty well, if I don't say so myself. Most of the pictures taken of us were on someone else's camera and I haven't gotten them yet, so here's the only one from my camera that came out at all nice:


Our little Z is always pretty in pictures. She's photogenic, plus she's learned to ham it up for the camera already.

Since I don't have a picture of B from this weekend, here's one of him when he was about the same age Z is now:


I can't decide which is funnier -- the expression, or the hair. And to show you that he is every bit as adorable as Miss Z:


B made a new friend this weekend. We saw him out riding his bike in front of our house, and B rode out on his bike to say hi. He's almost a year older than B, but they seemed to get along pretty well. B wasn't half as excited as we were though. There aren't very many families with young kids in our neighborhood, so we were thrilled to meet a couple that seemed fun and had a kid that could play with ours. We had them all over on Monday and everyone had a great time. At least I hope they did -- B will be crushed if he doesn't get to play with his new buddy again soon.

So Z is on her fourth week in child care now, and it's going pretty well. Last week she started crying when I dropped her off in the morning. It's sad, but it actually makes me happy because it means she'd rather be with me than at school. That's a sign of attachment. She also started running to me when I arrived in the afternoons, a huge grin on her face and her arms held up to be lifted. Now THAT'S a good way to end a long work day! B is fairly indifferent when I pick him up from preschool these days, and sometimes even wants to stay longer to play more. I like it when he wants me to carry him down the hall to Z's room. The days that I'll be able and allowed to carry him are definitely numbered, and I try to enjoy it while I can because I know I'll miss it when I can't. That poor kid will be coming home to visit when he's 30, and I'll still be asking him if he wants to sit in my lap and cuddle!

No comments: